Meet Rosemarie Rossetti
Rosemarie Rossetti, Ph.D. is a powerful, internationally known speaker, trainer, consultant, writer, and publisher who walks her talk. On June 13, 1998, Rossetti’s life was transformed when a 3 1/2 ton tree came crushing down on her. Her life was changed in that instant!
Paralyzed from the waist down with a spinal cord injury, Rossetti looked deep within herself and found new strength and new resolve. Determined to take back her life and make a difference for others, she shares the lessons she has learned since that fateful day, and demonstrates how to rise above misfortune and live life with conviction.
Rosemarie presents internationally to audiences from ten to several thousand. Through her enthusiastic, warm, and empathetic personality, Rosemarie draws the listener into her message and develops a following wherever she goes.
Rossetti’s motivational program Just Like Riding A Bike: Coping with Change and Dealing with Adversity is a transformational experience. Rossetti uses the lessons that she learned during her spinal cord injury recovery to empower participants. She focuses on what motivates people to change their behavior, awaken their inner gifts, find meaning in their lives, and accomplish more to bring out the best in themselves.
As a result of this program, participants will be revitalized and recharged. They will leave with restored hope, happiness and an improved vision of their future.
Rossetti helps people achieve goals and take charge of their lives. She brings a positive attitude to life that touches all who hear her, with an emotive speaking style that makes audiences fall in love with her and rally to her message.
Rossetti developed Selling Disability Income Insurance with Conviction using her case study. In this program Rossetti discusses the value of disability income insurance and motivates insurance professionals and financial planners to sell more policies.
Rossetti and her husband, Mark Leder, are on a personal mission to influence those associated with the housing industry, government policymakers, and the public at large to address and meet the needs of housing for an exponentially growing aging population. Their goal is to provide accessibility for those who wish to stay in their homes for as long as possible, and accommodate multigenerational family and caregiving needs.
Rosemarie and her husband know what works from experience. They built a national demonstration home and garden in Columbus, Ohio, the Universal Design Living Laboratory www.UDLL.com. The highest rated universal design home in North America, it earned three Universal Design national certifications. In addition, the home was awarded two green building certifications: Silver LEED from the U.S. Green Building Council and Gold level on the National Green Building Standard program.
Rossetti delivers programs on the topic of universal design and green building, entitled "How To Use Universal Design To Increase Your Business" and "Turning Green Building Practices Into Profits". She and her husband consult with builders, designers and consumers assisting in the design of new and remodeled homes. She is a Certified Living in Place Professional and Senior Home Safety Specialist.
- Instructor of the Year – Columbus REALTORS® – April 2016
- Tourism Partner of the Year – Gahanna Convention & Visitors Bureau – March 2016
- Proclamation from the Ohio Senate – December 2014
- Unsung Hero Humanitarian Award – People of Distinction Foundation – October 2014
- "20 Outstanding Women You Should Know in Central Ohio" – February 2008
- National “Roll Model”: Discovery Through Design, a New York City fashion show fundraiser for spinal cord injury research – February 2007
- Ms. Wheelchair Ohio – 2004
- Winter Olympic Torchbearer in Columbus Ohio – 2002
- Remarkable Women Award – 2002
- National Speakers Association, Ohio Chapter Award – 2002
- Woman Business Entrepreneur of the Year – 1999
- Women in New Growth Stages – Women Honoree Award – 1999
- Franklin Park Conservatory – Recognition of Service Award - Board of Trustees – 1999
- The Ohio State University College of Agriculture Teaching Award – 1995
- Rossetti Enterprises Inc. - Columbus, OH
President: January 1997 - Present
- Fortuna Press - Columbus, OH
President: April 2003 - Present
- Rosewell Publishing Inc. - Columbus, OH
President: October 1991 - September 2000
- The Ohio State University - Columbus, OH
Taught courses in oral expression, teaching methods, instructional media, and marketing.
- Assistant Professor: July 1990 - January 1997
- Vocational Education Consultant: October 1987 - June 1990
- Instructor: September 1986 - September 1987
- Graduate Teaching Associate: September 1978 - June 1982
- Stanford Interior Gardens, Inc. - Columbus, OH
Vice President of Sales and Marketing and Certified Interior Horticulturist: July 1978 - September 1986
- Delaware County Joint Vocational School - Delaware, OH
Horticulture Instructor: August 1975 - July 1978
- Global Universal Design Commission, Inc.: 2018 - present
- ALZ's Hope for a Cure: 2014- Present
- National Speakers Association, Ohio Chapter: 1998 - 2003
- Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Gardens: 1992 - 1998
Rosemarie is the author, co-author or contributor to 14 books, including:
- Authored and published The Universal Design Toolkit: Time-saving ideas, resources, solutions and guidance for making homes accessible
- Authored and published Take Back Your Life!, a collection of 20 inspirational articles from her columns.
- Co-authored and published The Healthy Indoor Plant, a book on the care of interior plants.
- Featured author in six anthology books: Mission Possible!; Flowers Are Forever; Flowers Are For Love; Enabled in Words, Dancing through Life with Guts, Grace & Gusto; What Can I Do.
- Chapter in The Universal Design Handbook: Second Edition
Incorporating extensive research and first-hand experience as a person who uses a wheelchair, Rosemarie has authored hundreds of articles:
- From March 2006 to June 2011, her columns about accessible housing were published in Action Magazine, a publication of the United Spinal Association.
- Magazine articles have been written for Ultimate Home Design, SpeciaLiving, PN Magazine, New Mobility, Action, NAHB's 50+ Housing, Columbus Monthly and Ability Magazine
- Monthly columnist of nationally distributed inspirational articles from December 1999 to August 2008
- Wrote for several national gardening publications.
- The Ohio State University Columbus, OH
- Ph.D., 1982 Majored in Agricultural Education with an emphasis in teacher education
- M.S., 1979 Majored in Agricultural Education with an emphasis in teacher education
- B.S., 1975 Dual major in Agricultural Education and Horticulture
The Rosemarie Rossetti Spinal Cord Injury Research Fund
Rosemarie Rossetti started this fund in July 2001 in order to advance the cure for spinal cord injuries. She has a long history with The Ohio State University and Dodd Hall. When she was injured, she spent five weeks in rehabilitation there as a patient. For the next two years, she continued her physical therapy at Dodd Hall.